Michael Rose hosts this three day workshop for the absolute beginner, taught by internationally known USA realism artist, Dru Blair.
Dru Blair graduated with a BA in fine art in 1981 at Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina. He earned a Masters Degree in fine art in 1984 at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, and went on to begin his career in commercial illustration.
In 1988, Dru won the National Airbrush Excellence Award, which ushered in a wave of commercial opportunities. The following year he produced his first aviation painting, "Power", which became the first of three Air Force Magazine covers and remains the number one selling aviation print in existence. Other aviation paintings followed the advent of his own publishing company, Blair Art Studios Inc. More recently, he founded the Blair School of Art in Raleigh, NC and now the Blair School of Realism in Blair, SC. He continues selling his commissions and teaching painting workshops at his school and around the world, and is regarded as the top realism painter in the world.
Commercial projects have included popular themes such as the Budweiser Bullfrogs. He was the official artist for Star Trek: Voyager book covers, as well as several of the other Star Trek licensees. Other clients include Continental Airlines, United Airlines, Proctor & Gamble, Pepsi, Coca-Cola, McDonalds, Mattel, USA Today, Automobile Magazine, Texaco, Paramount Theme Park, and Dru is a featured cover artist and contributing editor for Airbrush Magazine.
Dru Blair currently resides in his ancestral hometown of Blair, SC where he operates the Blair School of Realism.
On this three day class you will build confidence, learning at your own pace and devoting time to mastering the basics.
If you thought learning to airbrush would be too hard, Dru Blair has created this class to maximize your comfort. You will achieve daily goals that ensure mastery and preparedness for the next steps. And Dru will be on-hand and will help guide you every step of the way. You will leave a better artist than when you arrived. Guaranteed!
Dates: Mon 24th - Wed 26th Sept 2018
Times: 10:00 am - 6:30 pm
Duration: 3 days
Tutor: Dru Blair
Class size: 12
Location: Michael Rose School of Art, 25 Cranborne Parade, Mutton Lane, Potters Bar, Hertfordshire, EN6 3BA, England.
Click here for contact details and directions.
- The types of airbrushes and how they work.
- How to disassemble and reassemble the equipment.
- How to clean & maintain your equipment.
- The importance of good posture and smooth motions.
- The best way to hold your airbrush for control and consistency.
- The 5 mark-making variables that you'll need.
- Practicing drills to master the 5 types of marks that you must know for every project.
- Controlling edges as one of the top 5 keys to painting realism.
- Learning to distinguish between hard and soft edges and how to achieve each.
- Understanding why freehand airbrushing is best suited for soft edges.
- Using frisket (masking film), paper, tape, plastic, or found objects to create various edges.
- Learning about overspray/underspray, how it can wreck your day and how it can work to your benefit.
- Mastering the "Bounce" Technique and the importance of "Ghosting".
- Mastering the "Flip" technique and how it can take years off of your learning curve for airbrushing or sketching with a pen or pencil.
- Triggering and why this simple concept is critical to your success for smooth, even coats.
What is provided:
- Students will be supplied with an airbrush, equipment and paint for the duration of the course.
- Students will have the opportunity to buy paint and discounted airbrush equipment at the course location.
- Tea, coffee and biscuits will be served at 9:30 to 10:00am and 4:30 to 4:45pm.
You will also need:
- Accommodation - Please contact Michael Rose for a list of recommended local hotels and B&Bs.
- Lunch - Bring a packed lunch or there are local shops and food outlets to visit in the lunch break from 1:00pm to 2:00pm.
Please click here to read the terms and conditions regarding booking, payment and cancellations. Your booking is with Michael Rose School of Art and not with The Airbrush Company.