Michael Rose hosts this three day workshop taught by internationally known USA realism artist, Dru Blair.
On this three day class you will complete a single project of rendering a realistic skull with fire on a hard surface.
Dru Blair shows how to translate his photorealistic painting techniques into high-impact imagery used in automotive custom painting. This is an automotive mural class. Some discussion of the basics of preparing your surface can be expected. Class time will be devoted to painting techniques; actual prep work will not be completed during class.
This workshop is non-intimidating with both the novice and veteran artist in mind. Dru Blair will guide you every step of the way.
Dates: Thurs 27th - Sat 29th Sept 2018
Times: 10:00 am - 6:30 pm
Duration: 3 days (22 hours)
Tutor: Dru Blair
Class size: 12
Location: Michael Rose School of Art, 25 Cranborne Parade, Mutton Lane, Potters Bar, Hertfordshire, EN6 3BA, England.
Click here for contact details and directions.
- Basic colour theory will be covered in this workshop.
- Learn to create the most eye-catching, illusionistic skulls, smoke, and fire.
- How to recognize problems in your paintings that might otherwise have gone unnoticed.
- How to develop observation techniques to expand your visual discrimination.
- Split paper/frisket techniques.
- Different types of shields and when to use them.
- Why value matters.
- When to use the bounce method.
- 3 eraser techniques that will make a difference in your art.
- Discerning and managing edges and transitions.
- Frisket versus paper.
- Transferring your image.
- 5 masking techniques that work.
- When and where detail matters most.
- How to survive catastrophic errors.
- Opaque or Transparent? How to choose.
- A simple household product that can enhance your painting.
- Understanding simultaneous contrast and the role it plays in your paintings.
What is provided:
- Students will be supplied with an airbrush, equipment and paint for the duration of the course.
- Students will have the opportunity to buy paint and discounted airbrush equipment at the course location.
- Tea, coffee and biscuits will be served at 9:30 to 10:00am and 4:30 to 4:45pm.
You will also need:
- Accommodation - Please contact Michael Rose for a list of recommended local hotels and B&Bs.
- Lunch - Bring a packed lunch or there are local shops and food outlets to visit in the lunch break from 1:00pm to 2:00pm.
Please click here to read the terms and conditions regarding booking, payment and cancellations. Your booking is with Michael Rose School of Art and not with The Airbrush Company.