Michael Rose hosts this four day workshop for the absolute beginner, taught by internationally known USA realism artist, Dru Blair.
On this four day class, Dru Blair will teach you the techniques of painting realistic skin tones, hair, lips, eyes, backgrounds and many other attributes that make up a well-executed realism portrait painting.
Although portrait painting may seem formidable, this workshop is non-intimidating with both the novice and veteran artist in mind. Dru Blair will guide you every step of the way.
We strongly recommended that beginners learn the basics of airbrushing before attending this course.
Dates: Friday 5th, Saturday 6th, Monday 8th & Tuesday 9th October 2018
Times: 10:00 am - 6:30 pm
Duration: 4 days (29 hours)
Tutor: Dru Blair
Class size: 12
Location: Michael Rose School of Art, 25 Cranborne Parade, Mutton Lane, Potters Bar, Hertfordshire, EN6 3BA, England.
Click here for contact details and directions.
- Create a female portrait
- How to create skin texture.
- How to match colour....perfectly.
- What is Buffered Contrast Reduction, and how to use it.
- How to recognize problems in your paintings that might otherwise have gone unnoticed.
- How to develop observation techniques to expand your visual discrimination.
- How to make hair look real.
- Rendering facial details such as skin texture, hair, lips, and eyes with accuracy.
- Split paper/frisket techniques.
- Different types of shields and when to use them.
- Why value matters.
- When to use the bounce method.
- 3 eraser techniques that will make a difference in your art.
- Discerning and managing edges and transitions.
- Frisket vs paper.
- Transferring your image.
- 5 masking techniques that work.
- When and where detail matters most.
- How to survive catastrophic errors.
- Opaque or Transparent? How to choose.
- A simple household product that can enhance your painting.
- Understanding simultaneous contrast and the role it plays in your paintings.
What is provided:
- Students will be supplied with an airbrush, equipment and paint for the duration of the course.
- Students will have the opportunity to buy paint and discounted airbrush equipment at the course location.
- Tea, coffee and biscuits will be served at 9:30 to 10:00am and 4:30 to 4:45pm.
You will also need:
- Accommodation - Please contact Michael Rose for a list of recommended local hotels and B&Bs.
- Lunch - Bring a packed lunch or there are local shops and food outlets to visit in the lunch break from 1:00pm to 2:00pm.
Please click here to read the terms and conditions regarding booking, payment and cancellations. Your booking is with Michael Rose School of Art and not with The Airbrush Company.