Michael Rose hosts this three day Monochromatic workshop taught by internationally known USA realism artist, Dru Blair.
Although portrait painting may seem formidable, this workshop is non-intimidating with both the novice and veteran artist in mind!
On this 3-day workshop, Dru Blair will teach you the techniques of painting realistic skin tones, hair, lips, eyes, backgrounds and many other attributes that make up a well-executed realism portrait painting.
Dru Blair will be on-hand and will help guide you every step of the way.
Dates: Mon 14th - Wed 16th May 2018
Times: 10:00 am - 6:30 pm
Duration: 3 days
Tutor: Dru Blair
Class size: 12
Location: Michael Rose School of Art, 25 Cranborne Parade, Mutton Lane, Potters Bar, Hertfordshire, EN6 3BA, England.
Click here for contact details and directions.
- How to create skin texture
- How to recognize problems in your paintings that might otherwise have gone unnoticed
- How to develop observation techniques to expand your visual discrimination
- How to make hair look real
- Rendering facial details such as skin texture, hair, lips, and eyes with accuracy
- Split paper/frisket techniques
- Different types of shields and when to use them
- Why value matters
- When to use the bounce method
- 3 eraser techniques that will make a difference in your art
- Discerning and managing edges and transitions
- Frisket vs paper
- Transferring your image
- 5 masking techniques that work
- When and where detail matters most
- How to survive catastrophic errors
- Opaque or Transparent? How to chose
- A simple household product that can enhance your painting
- Understanding simultaneous contrast and the role it plays in your paintings
What is provided:
- Students will be supplied with an airbrush, equipment and paint for the duration of the course.
- Students will have the opportunity to buy paint and discounted airbrush equipment at the course location.
- Tea, coffee and biscuits will be served at 9:30 to 10:00am and 4:30 to 4:45pm.
You will also need:
- Accommodation - Please contact Michael Rose for a list of recommended local hotels and B&Bs.
- Lunch - Bring a packed lunch or there are local shops and food outlets to visit in the lunch break from 1:00pm to 2:00pm.
Please click here to read the terms and conditions regarding booking, payment and cancellations. Your booking is with Michael Rose School of Art and not with The Airbrush Company.