Michael Rose hosts this five day Male Colour Portrait Workshop, taught by internationally known USA realism artist, Dru Blair.
It is strongly recommended that you attend at least one of Dru Blair's other portrait workshops before attending this class.
This hands on advanced workshop covers the techniques involved in creating compelling portraits. Realistic skin texture is one of the most difficult aspects of portrait painting.
In this advanced portrait workshop, Dru will demonstrate his approach to painting convincing skin textures, as well as lips, eyes, facial hair, backgrounds and many other attributes that make up a well executed realism painting.
There will be no first-day morning lecture so you will have more time to work on your projects.
Dates: Tuesday 25th - Saturday 29th September 2018
Times: 10:00 am - 6:30 pm
Duration: 5 days
Tutor: Dru Blair
Class size: 12
Location: Michael Rose School of Art, 25 Cranborne Parade, Mutton Lane, Potters Bar, Hertfordshire, EN6 3BA, England.
Click here for contact details and directions.
- Advanced ways to create skin texture
- How to match colour....perfectly
- What is Buffered Contrast Reduction, and how to use it
- How to recognize problems in your paintings that might otherwise have gone unnoticed
- How to develop observation techniques to expand your visual discrimination
- How to make hair look real
- Rendering facial details such as skin texture, hair, lips, and eyes with accuracy
- Split paper/frisket techniques
- Different types of shields and when to use them
- Why value matters
- When to use the bounce method
- 3 eraser techniques that will make a difference in your art
- discerning and managing edges and transitions
- Frisket vs paper
- Transferring your image
- 5 masking techniques that work
- When and where detail matters most
- How to survive catastrophic errors
- Opaque or Transparent? How to chose
- A simple household product that can enhance your painting
- Understanding simultaneous contrast and the role it plays in your paintings
What is provided:
- Students will be supplied with an airbrush, equipment and paint for the duration of the course.
- Students will have the opportunity to buy paint and discounted airbrush equipment at the course location.
- Tea, coffee and biscuits will be served at 9:30 to 10:00am and 4:30 to 4:45pm.
You will also need:
- Accommodation - Please contact Michael Rose for a list of recommended local hotels and B&Bs.
- Lunch - Bring a packed lunch or there are local shops and food outlets to visit in the lunch break from 1:00pm to 2:00pm.
Please click here to read the terms and conditions regarding booking, payment and cancellations. Your booking is with Michael Rose Tattoos and Piercing and not with The Airbrush Company.